Years ago I framed a bathroom mirror in our master bathroom. By plain I mean the standard glass mirror the builder installs. Nothing special. After I framed it I loved the result. I moved from that home and have lived in my current home for 9 years. In that time I have painted and changed out fixtures, upgraded appliances and installed granite counter tops. The last few months I have gotten into house re-do mode. I guess it’s my 9 year itch! I repainted the downstairs bathroom, added a few decorative touches and gave the mirror a makeover.
Here is the bathroom with the standard mirror.
I purchased crown molding at Home Depot. The cost of the molding was $16 dollars to frame the entire mirror. I started out using a miter box to cut the 45 degree angles necessary to make the frame.
I thought this would be quick and easy but I did not nail down the miter box thinking I could make the cuts but the miter box kept sliding around and of course that made it difficult to cut smooth edges. I could have nailed the miter box to a table we have down in the basement but instead I did this…
I took the crown molding pieces over to our friend Les’s house and he made the cuts with his fancy miter saw. I love this machine! Angles are set and it cuts in seconds.
All ready to stain.
My husband helped with the painting on the stain. We used Minwax in Red Mahogany 225 and applied two coats of the stain. The first coat was heavy and after the stain was applied we gently wiped off some of the stain with a dry cloth. We then applied a second coat of the stain but did not wipe the stain off the second coat, we just let it dry overnight. When you are staining you want to make sure to do the front and back of the crown molding. You will be able to see the reflection of the back in the mirror once you mount it.
When the stain was completely dry I applied Liquid Nails Small Projects to the back of the molding to hold the molding in place. I used liquid nails on the last mirror I framed and it held up for years with no problems.
I ran a line of the liquid nails on the back of the molding. I made sure to place it towards the outer edge of the frame so you would not be able to see the reflection of the glue in the glass. I couldn’t remember if it dried clear or not and I did not want to chance it.
Here it is all framed! I had a wide angle lens on my camera so I couldn’t take a photo while standing in the bathroom to get the whole frame in. I took this photo standing outside the bathroom.
I love it! Very inexpensive and it makes a big difference in the whole look of the bathroom. I will be working on the two bathroom mirrors upstairs sometime soon. Let me know if you are considering this project and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Try it! You can do it!
It’s all good. ~Donna